Thursday, March 8, 2007

Thank you, Q, for all your time and energy devoted to leading the Spartan Challenge.
Do I now have 6-pack abs?
Did I climb to the top of any mountain and look down and enhance my 3-D sense of the world?
Are my senses now acutely heightened?
I would have to say, not really.
But, my mind has been cracked open a bit and I realize there is more I can do to feel alive.
This may have been another sleepy winter if it wasn’t for the Spartan Challenge.
I may not have gotten up and belly danced in front of a crowd at the Hygenic Cabaret, with my good friend, Gus, as drummer. And without that, I would never had the chance to dance with Vic Thrill and find out what a cool guy he is. I guess I have a little crush.
Jumping into the freezing ocean at the Penguin Plunge for the Special Olympics, with firestarters/jesters Mike Fritz, Q, Susan, Sherrie Boldt, Randy and Blaze was a rush, as was jumping into the water at Eastern Point Beach, just for the heck of it.
I was heartened by Susan’s brave defense of her beloved cat, Brutus, by a vicious dog.
Just maybe, I wouldn’t have gone to yoga as often and tried to find mula banda and uddiyana banda. I am not sure still that I have found them, but I will keep looking.
Q’s story of the homeless man struck me, as I recently read “Nickled and Dimed in America” which talked about how close to the edge of homelessness so many people live in our country. Balancing helping others in need and enjoying life is a challenge to all of us.
The Spartan Challenge, along with winter, will be over soon.
The spirit will remain.

No comments: