Monday, March 12, 2007

Go and tell the Spartans, passerby...




Brotherhood. That's what this challenge has meant to me. The past several months have been quite a challenge for me, with being diagnosed with Diabetes and all the attendant health issues I have had along with it. I am still struggling with some, but my issues are small compared to some. It has been my honor to be counted among a great fellowship during this challenge. It has been inspiring to hear your tales and to struggle along side you in my own way. I set no records, though I improved my personal health . I achieved none of the goals I set for myself at the beginning of this challenge, but what I did achieve has improved my life, perhaps saved it. Brotherhood is what made the Spartans strong. Their shields overlapping, protecting their brother on their left and through that shared strength protecting their way of life. I can;t tell you how much it has meant to me to feel my brother's shield covering me, to feel the strength of that brotherhood on my right and on my left, stepping slowly but with purpose, knowing that nothing can stand before us.

It is easier to let yourself down than to let down your brothers. So when times were tough, and I didn't feel like getting up and going on, I could let myself be defeated, but I got up and stepped on that elliptical machine because I could not let you down. What small steps they seemed to be, especially in light of the things you have been doing, which have inpired me, but what important steps they were. My thanks to you, brothers and sisters of Spartan spirit, for you have lifted me up in times of woe, you have been in my heart in times of celebration. I pray to the gods that this brotherhood shall never be ended. I salute you all, and know that my shield shall ever be raised high beside you, that I will stride forward with you and hold the line unbroken, that no fear or woe will keep me from standing with my brothers.

2 comments:

Gerb said...

Well said. I know that most of us feel that we fell short of what we could have achieved, but I don't believe that there's a soul among us who feels that they aren't a better person for participating in this challenge. I never turned in a score sheet, I knew that I was not going to "win", but I did have some amazing experiences. The Wizard convinced me to take a walk with him. Not just a walk, but a journey. I came back from our first walk sore and bloody, and barely able to walk because of blisters. In contrast, this past Friday we walked two five mile legs, and I felt great. I was able to walk 12 miles home with him, uphill... something that I didn't think would be possible for me. Maybe it's a small thing, but it's given me new perspective in to what I can achieve. I may not yet be my best, but I am better for this experience.

Spellbound said...

The humble Gerb fails to mention that he also made 50 bucks on the last walk, when challenged to find an apple seed (the smallest of items)before the walk was over. Half way through the walk, when I had already forgoten my awareness Gerb found the smallest, dirtiest, most camoflaged rotten apple core on the ground and pulled out a nice little seed. There must be many lessons in this story for myself and Mr. Gerb. And it made for a great last walk.