Monday, February 26, 2007

Wii & We - Spartan Brotherhood (& Sisterhood)

If I was suprised and humbled by the tremendous generosity and and great love that has been shown me your gifts, I was doubly so when I recieved the second package this weekend filled with games galore. Truly you are my brothers, with songs and stories by the fire under the light of the stars, laughter ringing through the halls of time, and tears fallen like the torrent of a summer storm or the soft drop of the spring dew. Though time and distance seperates us, and the roar of the modern world is deafening, I still hear the beating of our hearts as one.

If we love one another, nothing, in truth, can harm us, whatever mischances may happen.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


As I traveled to work this weekend, I saw a man holding sign at the light at end of a highwayhighway exit ramp. It simply said
IM HOMELESS
IM JOBLESS
PLEASE HELP
Dressed in a Carhart style overall suit, with long dirty blond hair stretching past the cover of his woolen cap to his shoulders, I was lost in my own excitement of the morning : the great workout, the impending Great Harvest breakfast and coffee, the planning of the days experiments , the afternoon family time with the Wii...I say that I had not thought to give this fellow anything, I hadn't even considered it yet before I had the compulsion to look behind me, at an elderly couple in an Expedition pulling up behind me. The fellow with the sign had some kind of radar, I could see the couple making the decision to get him some money and sign man came over very casually. He gave his thanks and went back to his station without so much as looking at anyone in the other cars (myself included). The light turned green and I was off to breakfast, I picked us up some Great Harvest breakfast rolls, some scones and coffee and made my way back to Sign man for meal and some conversation.
The rest of the adventure is for another day.
The reason I tell you this is because, what I take from this all is how much 'We' have made a difference in my life. Its not just the Wii but the We that put me on this adventure and many others in life. I look back at all the many gifts I've had and the greatest gift is how the Brotherhood and the gifts of 'We'/'Wii' has made me who I am.

Give bread to a stranger, in the name of the universal brotherhood which binds together all men under the common father of nature.
- Quintilian (Marcus Fabius Quintilianus)

2 comments:

Spellbound said...

Wii look forward to this story. Signs Signs everywhere signs..

liondormant said...

We love you brother, you inspire us to be greater than we have been, striving towards something we can be, and imagine what we might become.

Namaste'